Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In the middle of it

Just purchased Waterdeeps new album "In the Middle of It"



I have been a big fan of Waterdeep since freshman year in college in '98. There has been a small hole in my life since loosing my copy of You Were at the Time for Love.  I don't own all of their albums.. but enough to know that when this one was announced I was definitely in the mood to add to my collection. For the first two days I played it in the background of life.. underneath the pleas for goldfish and juice and the hum of the dishwasher.  I wasn't too excited about it.  But last night I finally got to sit down a work on my journals with my headphones on and boy was I pleasantly surprised!

The first few seconds you do a double take to make sure you hit the right button.... yup.. it's waterdeep.. interesting... computer synth... Happen Every Time.  Some of Don's great story telling.  Some of my favorite lyrics. You ought to know when you own a siberian tiger and they want to pet it that it's only an innocent query and you don't have to let it. 


You don't wait too long to get Lori rocking in her usual style. Couple Cheap Rings made interesting with Don in the background.


Your head  is still nodding as Don continues with Haven't You Always.  A bit of southern rock. And for awhile no one was boring. 

Lori's turn again on Falling. a dark rock feeling.


Peter Gabrielle? Nope.. still Waterdeep. Needs A Break  More great story telling. More complex. I don't remember thinking that their other albums had this much going on.


First thought is Gran Torino. Can't help it. Tools in the Garage. Very catchy.



Gimme My Walkman. I've already heard that this is a favorite of many. Not mine. Maybe because I don't relate to it. Maybe because I'm now the "mom."  Gimme My Walkman back so I don't have to listen to the fights you have with dad. 

We're Not Gonna.  More Lori and her sass.


I'm Gonna Love You.  More Lori and her dark rock.


One of my favorites. Only One Time. Love the words.. love the progression. One of the softer songs on the album.  Only one time and then I said no but everything I believe is tainted by that one moment of weakness like watching a greyhound leave. 

In the Middle of It   A hint of country boy. Lighthearted.Fun.


Difference Between  Lori reminding me a little of Edie Brickell for a moment. Smooth.


Another favorite. I'm a sucker for mellow. Their "Grey's Anatomy" song. Rivers Rise.  The piano adds just the right touch. and then the strings. beautiful.


And ending just lovely. Easy Baby. I've learned twice as much from sorrow as I've learned during all my days of study

Picking up this album is a no-brainer for Waterdeep fans.... a good mix of what we've always loved and some new surprises.  My only regret was not getting the "deluxe" option.  I'd love to hear the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment